Calder
Pop. 130

Before Calder received its “official” name, it was called Elk River by John Rice, an early settler, then Gordon in 1891, and then Remington in 1906. A railroad construction crew was stationed here in the early 1900’s soon after a homesteader opened a small store at the location. The town’s present name actually honors one of the railroad crew men. The railroad, miners, and loggers kept the area economically busy, and the townsite barely escaped the great fire of 1910. Many men from Calder lost their lives fighting the blaze that summer. Profiting from such a tragedy, the Milwaukee Land Company salvaged the burnt logs north of town, and later the Mica Creek logging company joined in. A sawmill was built in 1942.

Home | Free Brochures | Bookstore | Idaho Travel and Vacation Planner | Idaho Real Estate and Relocation Information | Idaho Tour

Copyright ©2010 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved