Culdesac
Pop. 378

The name Culdesac was given to this community by Charles S. Mellon, the president of the Northern Pacific RR, because the railroad terminated at that location. Culdesac, roughly translated, means “the bottom of the bag,” “blind alley,” or “a place with only one outlet.” In 1900, when the railroad was being built, there were actually two towns at this juncture. When the Post Office arrived, the townsfolk proposed the name be Cul-de-sac. The Post Office refused and instead named it Magnolia. In July of 1902, the residents petitioned the Post Office again and this time they were successful in changing the name to Culdesac.

Home | Free Brochures | Bookstore | Idaho Travel and Vacation Planner | Idaho Real Estate and Relocation Information | Idaho Tour

Copyright ©2010 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved