Location: 8 miles east of Priest River on US Highway 2 at the mouth of Hoodoo Creek
Once one of Idaho’s most recognized settlements, Seneacquoteen (a Kalispell or Pend Oreille Indian word) flourished from 1810 until 1910. Surrounded by lush meadows, the area was first home to Native Americans quickly followed by explorers from the North West Company. As more and more travelers and surveyors began using Seneacquoteen for their base of operations, construction began on permanent buildings. In 1860, Thomas Forde erected the first log building and created a ferry system. When gold fever hit Idaho, miners rushed to and through the town, allowing a productive trading post to be established here.

Seneacquoteen continued to grow in popularity throughout the late 1800s. The Territorial Legislature designated the town as the first county seat for Kootenai County, and the county’s first school opened here and operated for more than fifty years. As with many other frontier communities, though, the newly established Northern Pacific and Great Northern Railroads bypassed the community, initiating the town’s collapse. The community’s doomed fate was sealed in 1910 when a wagon bridge was established in nearby Sandpoint. Today, a small cemetery is all that remains of one of Idaho’s earliest settlements.

Home | Free Brochures | Bookstore | Idaho Travel and Vacation Planner | Idaho Real Estate and Relocation Information | Idaho Tour

Copyright ©2010 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved