Fernwood
Pop. 315

When a man named Mr. Fenn applied to have this settlement named Fennwood in 1901, the postal authorities misread the name and spelled it as Fernwood instead. The name was never corrected. Ironically, the nearby creek, named for Mr. Fenn as well, today appears on maps as Finn Creek. According to stories, Saturday nights in Fernwood between 1913 and 1930 were very wild. Lumberjacks from the many local camps would flock to town to drink, gamble, and be entertained by the local women. Today, the town’s boisterous past has long since quieted.

Home | Free Brochures | Bookstore | Idaho Travel and Vacation Planner | Idaho Real Estate and Relocation Information | Idaho Tour

Copyright ©2010 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved