Pop. 25

On the south shore of Lake Pend Oreille lies Lakeview, named for its beautiful view. It was first settled in 1888 and was known as “Chloride” due to the prominent local mining industry. Limestone deposits formed from the remains of fossil invertebrates are still visible near Lakeview, with some deposits as thick as 200 feet. In the early 1900s, carbonate was also quarried from area adits and shipped to Hope, Idaho for use by the Washington Brick and Lime Company. Eventually the standards for the lime were raised, the Lakeview quality diminished, and the quarries were forced to close in the 1930s. The post office operated from 1892 to 1965. Today, Lakeview is a resort town boasting all the recreation and beauty of the lake.

Home | Free Brochures | Bookstore | Idaho Travel and Vacation Planner | Idaho Real Estate and Relocation Information | Idaho Tour

Copyright ©2010 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved