|A German emigrant who migrated from Illinois, Frederick Post constructed a lumber mill at this location along the Spokane River in 1871 on land he purchased from Andrew Seltice, Chief of the Coeur d’Alene tribe. Seltice and Post had an agreement for the land purchase, which is depicted as a pictograph on a granite stone near the town’s railroad tracks.
Post’s building site for the saw and grist mill was located beside a waterfall (later known as Spokane Falls). In the building process, he dammed all three Spokane River channels in the area and raised the natural height of the nearby waterfall. Despite all intentions to operate the mill himself, Post offered the property to the US Army for just $2,000 when construction on nearby Fort Sherman began. The military refused Post’s offer and built its own mill. As a result, Post went on in 1900 to sell his mill and most of the water rights to R. K. Neill for a whopping $25,000. Afterwards, Post created a three-story, fifty-four room wooden hotel in Post Falls in hope of Coeur d’Alene Lake steamboats traveling downriver to his landing. The plan never materialized, however. Post’s hotel burnt to the ground shortly after its establishment, and the enterprising gentleman died in 1908. Along with his name, Post left behind a beloved wife and six daughters.