Elk River
Pop. 156

Elk River was originally called Trumbull after the Trumbull Hunting and Fishing Lodge that stood at the end of the newly laid Milwaukee Railroad tracks. Upon completion of the tracks in 1909, however, an electricity-driven sawmill was constructed under the management of the Potlatch Timber Company. Almost overnight, the area blossomed with activity, attracting workers and their families. Soon, residents decided to rename their growing community after the vast numbers of elk in the area. Although the town flourished and business opportunities increased for over twenty years, the 1927 construction of the Clearwater Timber sawmill in Lewiston spelled hard times ahead for Elk River. As predicted, the town essentially quit growing, and the sawmill was forced to close during the Depression years. Today it is a recreation hot spot boasting fishing, hunting, horseback riding, mountain biking, swimming, ice fishing, boating, cross-country skiing, and ATV riding.

Home | Free Brochures | Bookstore | Idaho Travel and Vacation Planner | Idaho Real Estate and Relocation Information | Idaho Tour

Copyright ©2010 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved