Greer
Pop. 30

Colonel William Craig and Jacob Shultz constructed a ferry over the Clearwater River here in 1861. The ferry served the local miners and packers passing through during the gold rush era, and soon a ferry house was built to further accommodate the travelers. John Greer (for whom the town was named) and John Molly owned the ferry at the time of the Nez Perce War in 1877. During that time, the Indians set the ferry loose in the river and burned the ferry house, thereby making it harder for the Army to chase them. Despite this unfortunate turn of events, Greer persevered and built a new ferry house. He and new business associate, John Dunn, later platted the townsite when the railroad came through town in 1899. A bridge was eventually erected across the river in 1914, making Greer’s famous ferry an unnecessary town amenity.

Home | Free Brochures | Bookstore | Idaho Travel and Vacation Planner | Idaho Real Estate and Relocation Information | Idaho Tour

Copyright ©2010 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved