Headquarters
Pop. 300

Headquarters, a company logging town, originated as the end of the railroad line that extended from Orofino. The rails, laid with a $4 million price tag, were placed in the area between 1925 and 1927. One particular ten-mile stretch of line required fifty bridges! Due to the town’s isolated nature, the railroad enabled Headquarters to become self-sufficient. Within no time, the town possessed its own power plant, school, dairy, store, community hall, and blacksmith shop. Today, lumber and the Potlatch Lumber Company still drive the economy, but most workers now simply rent company housing during the week, returning to their official residences elsewhere on weekends.

Home | Free Brochures | Bookstore | Idaho Travel and Vacation Planner | Idaho Real Estate and Relocation Information | Idaho Tour

Copyright ©2010 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved