|The Lewis and Clark expedition camped at Lenore’s location on October 7, 1805, but before they arrived, the Nez Perce Indian ancestors were here nearly 10,000 years ago. Explored between 1967 and 1971, the archeological site near town revealed numerous artifacts that indicated the Indians used this area for fishing and big game hunting. The site also contained several large oval-shaped pit houses occupied from approximately 900 B.C. to 1300 A.D. This village is one of the oldest and longest-used in the region.
Permanent white settlement began in the late 1800s, and the post office was established here in 1900. Great Northern Railroad officials named the town, but additional history behind the name’s selection remains unknown. A series of grain elevators built in the 1930s, 40s, and 50s reflect the area’s continued agricultural history.