Location: Washington County
T.J. Heath and James Ruth made the first discovery of gold here in October 1864 and word spread quickly of new mining activity. By June 28, 1875, Heath and Ruth’s find had launched another prosperous Idaho mining district and the new community of Heath. This community was home to a smelter and a railroad mine. New discoveries near Heath occurred frequently, sustaining the area until the 1920’s. After this date, the Bunker Hill-Sullivan Mining Company leased T.J. Heath’s mines. However, World War II brought the sale of Heath’s smelter, and most of the town’s cabins were destroyed. Today, the smelter’s bunker is all that remains of this community.

Home | Free Brochures | Bookstore | Idaho Travel and Vacation Planner | Idaho Real Estate and Relocation Information | Idaho Tour

Copyright ©2010 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved