South Mountain City

Location: 20 miles southeast of Jordan Valley, Oregon in Idaho's Owyhee County
In 1872, the settlement of Bullian City was established twenty-two miles south of the booming Silver City. As more miners flooded to the area, Bullian City was granted a post office and the town’s name was changed to South Mountain City. One of the earliest mining camps in Owyhee County, South Mountain City acquired the first smelter in Idaho to aid in production of the following lead and silver mines: Crown Point, Golconda, Bay State, and Black Giant. South Mountain City’s mining activities eventually died out, but a new boom occurred for a few years in the 1950s. Today, visitors will find a black slag pile from the early smelter furnace, as well as some buildings from the 1950s boom.

Home | Free Brochures | Bookstore | Idaho Travel and Vacation Planner | Idaho Real Estate and Relocation Information | Idaho Tour

Copyright ©2010 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved