Kuna
Pop. 5,382

A man named E. P. Vining, with the aid of an Indian language dictionary, gave Kuna (“Q-na”) its name. At the time, he believed the term meant “snow,” but others say it means “end,” “green leaf,” or “good to smoke.” The area first served as an Oregon Short Line Railroad stop in 1884, and in autumn 1905, Mr. F.H. Teed and his wife filed a 200-acre Desert Land Act claim to become the town’s first permanent settlers. At first, the only other area home was thirteen miles away, and water had to be hauled ten miles to Kuna from the Snake River.

In 1907, the Teeds decided to open a post office for their tiny village, but business was expectedly low. In the first three months of operation, receipts totaled just 16 cents. Gradually, pioneers from Iowa and Missouri settled in this area. Today, farms, ranches, and a winery surround the town along with a wide open, beautiful landscape. The Birds of Prey National Conservation Area lies just south of town.

Home | Free Brochures | Bookstore | Idaho Travel and Vacation Planner | Idaho Real Estate and Relocation Information | Idaho Tour

Copyright ©2010 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved