Gibbonsville
Pop. 125

Gold was discovered here in 1872, and this tiny community was unofficially established in 1877. A post office was erected just one year later, but the townsite itself wasn’t chartered until 1899. Formerly known as Dahlongs or Gibtown, Gibbonsville was eventually named for Colonel John Gibbon who attacked Chief Joseph’s Nez Perce encampment in this area just prior to the 1877 Battle of the Big Hole. Most notably, the Lewis and Clark expedition graced the area with their presence during the fall of 1805.

Home | Free Brochures | Bookstore | Idaho Travel and Vacation Planner | Idaho Real Estate and Relocation Information | Idaho Tour

Copyright ©2010 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved