Gilmore

Gilmore was once a big money mining town. The mining district that was established here in 1880 reportedly produced more than $40 million in silver and lead. To handle production demands, a line of the Gilmore and Pittsburgh Railroad was added in 1910, and ore was shipped out just as fast as it was produced. Although work had been steady, the mines were forced to close in 1929 in advent of the Depression and a devastating power plant explosion.

Today, the ghost town retains its recognition of John T (Jack) Gilmer of the Gilmer and Salisbury Stage Company. Jack was an intelligent and entrepreneuring pioneer in the American West’s stagecoach business. When the post office was established here in 1903, a postal clerk miscopied the name, thereby establishing the name’s current spelling.

Home | Free Brochures | Bookstore | Idaho Travel and Vacation Planner | Idaho Real Estate and Relocation Information | Idaho Tour

Copyright ©2010 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved