|Mackay (“MACK-ee”) was founded unofficially thanks to a copper boom in 1884 and 1885. In 1901, George Mackay, an Irish immigrant, built a smelter in the town’s present location. Soon after, he platted the town and named it after himself. Although the mine failed after just two years, town residents remained and later consolidated their population with that of Carbonate and Houston. A post office was established here in 1901.
Today, this town that is tucked in the shadow of the Lost River Mountains, serves as the final supply point for those tackling the challenging Borah Peak. The area is also known for holding abundant trout populations in the nearby Mackay Reservoir and Big Lost River.