Minidoka
Pop. 129

Union Pacific Railroad officials established this site as a siding and named it in 1884. The definition of Minidoka, an Indian term, cannot be decided upon. While some claim it means “broad expanse,” because the Snake River’s broadest part runs through this area, others say the term means “well” or “spring.” The latter, however, doesn’t seem logical as there was no area water source until 1946. A post office was established in 1883, and the town holds the distinction as the first permanent white settlement in Idaho’s Minidoka County.

Home | Free Brochures | Bookstore | Idaho Travel and Vacation Planner | Idaho Real Estate and Relocation Information | Idaho Tour

Copyright ©2010 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved